Monday, July 13, 2009

How can music heal the body?

This is one of the most frequent questions I get when I go out into the world to speak to conferences and conventions! I guess it almost seems too easy? Everyone loves music and know that they enjoy it a lot, but does it really "HEAL" the body? Well, first of all you must define healing. Healing is not the same as curing! By my definition, healing has to do with moving toward wholeness and the improvement or amelioration of symptoms. When I work with my patients in a counseling session, I often choose a piece of music that enables them to release painful feelings that they were keeping locked into their bodies. Keeping painful thoughts and memories locked into your body can actually cause illnesses to develop. I'm not saying that it's the only cause of illness, but it's definitely a big contributor. Germs might even pale by comparison!

When people hear beautiful music that they love, that has positive associations for them or that brings floods or good memories back to them, hormones and chemicals are released in the body that actually do heal and improve that person's health and their immune system! This is has been scientifically proven hundreds of times around the world.

If you'd like to know more, order my book "Notes on Tuning Your Life with Music" and the "Healing Music Sampler." Give yourself and your loved ones the gift of healing music!

No comments: